Saturday, May 21, 2016

Post-op Week 1: Let the adventure begin!

Wow! What a up and down week! So much happened so quickly, I hardly know how to put it all in words. Oh, I'll try.. that's what I do, but it feels like so much!

Day 0, Sunday, May 8th: Today was a travel day. We left Moab about 3:30 in the morning to head to the airport for our 6:30 flight. I don't know if you've ever had to leave that early, but nothing goes smoothly that time of the morning. I ended up having to head to Mexico with my Passport, and cash only, because I could not find my drivers license or my credit card anywhere. I swear I put in in my purse the night before. (Come to find out, it was in the dryer... who knew). But, finally, we were on the road.

My friend Penny (who came with me to Mexico) and I drove to Colorado, picked up our friends Mike and Mel, and let them drive us the rest of the way to the airport so that we didn't have to pay for parking for next 5 days (Hey! $50 is $50!). I had an interesting time in security, and then we waited a little bit for our plane to take us to the second leg of our flight in Salt Lake City. The second leg was tight, so we had to book it to the next flight, but ended up getting there in plenty of time. Then, off to Sand Diego we went.

Once in San Diego, we had to wait for about two hours for everyone to come in before the driver came to pick us up. Jorge the driver was amazing! He drove us right through the border with no issues, and our hotel was just about 5 minutes past the border. We checked in, and then headed over to the Hospital Angeles for our blood tests. Then, back to the hotel to relax until the pick up for surgery in the morning.

Day 1-3, Monday - Wednesday, May 9th-11th: SURGERY DAY! We arrived at the Clinica San Juan first thing in the morning, and the did a quick EKG, then we paid our money to the clinic. After being checked into our rooms, and an IV inserted, we waited... and waited... and waited... The surgeon, Dr. Kelly, had another surgery that morning at the Hospital Angeles, and it had some complications so our surgeries were postponed until late afternoon. At 4:30 I was taken into surgery, and all went well, I was quickly back in my room, and that is about all I remember about that day.

The next two days, I actually wasn't doing too well. I had a hard time with nausea, and had reoccurring dry heaves that hurt like the devil. I was still getting up, and walking around, but my recovery was lacking behind all the other girls that had gotten their surgeries the same day. I was hurting, and I was struggling, but I was getting better everyday. I was released to go to the hotel after going for a leak test the third day. I really think that was my worst day. I did fine with the leak test, but I could not drink anything without wanting to throw up. I was really regretting making the choice to have this surgery.

Day 4, Thursday, May 12th: Travel Day! Oh! And miracle of miracles, I woke up feeling like a brand new person! I had no nausea, I was drinking much better than I had been, and truly I felt fantastic! It was a long day home, 12 hours of plane rides, and car rides, but we made it back with no issues, and I felt fantastic the whole day.

Day 5, Friday, May 13th: Oh what a difference being home makes! I felt great, and believe it or not
got in 60oz of water and 83 grams of protein in! Things felt good, but I still wasn't caught up from getting no real water in the last few days. But oh how good it felt to be home!

Day 6, Saturday, May 5th: I was just dragging all day, I had a hard time drinking anything, and I was just beat! TMI ALERT: I also had terrible diarrhea. I was really just off. My parents came to see me Saturday afternoon, and I just wasn't much fun. They finally left about 7pm so I could rest, and I fell asleep on the couch.

I slept until about 9:30, and decided I needed to use the restroom, I felt like I was in a fog that I just couldn't shake. After I was done, I stood up, washed my hands, and started to walk out of the
restroom. That's when things got really bad.... I started to black out, so I grabbed the dresser, the next thing I know, I am on the floor. I fell hard, it was the first time I have ever passed out.  Penny heard me, and helped me. I eventually made it to the couch where Penny started pumping full of Gatorade, and water. I was extremely dehydrated. About 1130 I felt well enough to go to bed, and did just that.

Day 7, Sunday, May 5th: The next morning, I got up, and again almost blacked out. So, Penny ordered me to bed, and I sat and drank more water, and Gatorade. My parents came in, and said their goodbye's and I rested. I finally started feeling better, so I got up, dressed, and moved to the living room where I drank the day away, and rested. By evening I was feeling back to almost normal. I even called and spoke with Dr. Kelly who said as long as I was feeling hydrated again, I was probably just fine, but if I had any other issues to go to the emergency room. I didn't have any other issues, and I have felt great since.

While this has been kind of a rough week, I don't regret this decision. I'm feeling so good now, and it gets better everyday! Oh! And, there was good that came out of this! Here are my stats:

Sleeved: 5/9/16
Highest weight: 358lbs
Surgery weight: 280.1
Current weight: 270.0
Total lost: 88lbs
Total lost since surgery: 10.1
Goal weight: 175

1 comment:

  1. Remember the 1st few weeks are the hardest.. Your body is in shock and also in healing mode. It's used to getting X number of calories and lots of food filling your tummy and now along with the long incision which is inflamed, tender and healing your stomach still wants food but then anything going in it puts it in turmoil. But I'm glad your starting to feel better and the weight will continue to drop off... Remember tho that you need to do some exercises or you'll have tons of loose skin to deal with later.